20 Things to Remember When You Love Someone With Depression
A person with depression knows that it can be difficult and often opt not to burden you with their irrational thoughts and worries
Depression has become a common issue nowadays. Since the past few years, depression rates have increased, and plenty of people are suffering from diverse forms of depression. It is a term that is frequently used to describe things like having a bad day or an inability to live life peacefully. The person experiencing this disorder knows how to describe it more than anyone else. If you are in love with a person having depression, try to bail him/her out and never question them about it. Because they don’t have any knowledge regarding it, as depression slowly controls a person’s life to that level, they cannot recollect when it started.
Life becomes challenging for these people. Whether going to work, socializing with people, or simply getting out of bed feels like a terrible struggle. Thus, it is your responsibility to be mindful of situations they are going through. The person going through depression feels it harder and harder following each day, so be there for them. If you know that person is moving through such a state, then be nice and friendly while engaging with them. Your presence can stimulate and invigorate them during their bad days.
A person with depression knows that it can be difficult and often opt not to burden you with their irrational thoughts and worries. They are however worth combatting for. If you can fight with them through this, you will be rewarded a hundredfold.
The phrase “I am here for you”, can never be used enough. It’s four words that touch the core of their heart and reminds them that their feelings are valid.
What to remember?
- Depression is not a choice. Depression leaves someone feeling paralyzed in their own mind and body. Most times they are unable to do the things they love or know they should be doing. Depression is not just a bad day or bad mood, it’s not something they can just “get over”.
- There are times that they have to push you away before they can bring you closer.
- You are allowed to be frustrated. Regardless of how they feel, they are aware that it can be compact for you at times.
- It is important to discuss and create boundaries.
- A person with depression can become easily overwhelmed.
- When you have a loved one dealing with depression, it can be difficult to understand what they are going through and you might consider that their sadness is a reflection of your relationship with them. If they should ask you for space, understand that it is not about you.
- Try not to compare your experience with theirs.
- Depression is not a sign of weakness.
- Help them to keep clutter at bay.
- Tackle depression as a team. It is hard to go with it alone, knowing that they have someone in their corner who is priceless.
- Learn the symptoms of depression so that you can better understand what they are going through.
- Learn to separate their depression from who they really are. Do not define them by their illness.
- Practice extra self-care. You are important too.
- Love them unconditionally, that’s what they need — an assurance that you love and need them.
- Send message similar to these:
- I know it’s hard but I will not give up-on you.
- You are enough.
- If you want to talk how are you feeling, I will listen.
- Is there anything I can do?
- I can’t even pretend to know what you are going through but you aren’t alone and you are cared for.
- You have never been a burden and never will be.
- I wanted to remind you that you are loved. I know things are hard right now and that’s okay.
- Avoid offering advice, just listen.
- Remind them often what they mean to you.
- Celebrate their every win.
- Remember that they are not broken or defective.
- They are fighting hard every single day. Remember that even on the day they are unable to make it out of bed, days that they might not want to leave home even after you’ve made plans, don’t force them, they are really doing the best they can.
Taking care of a depressed person might be fatiguing; however, with your little effort, you can give that person a hope to overcome this condition. Being that said, it is also necessary for you to take care of yourself in order to take care of your loved one. Along with that, give much attention to them when they really need your help. It might be hard to be with someone suffering from depression, but it becomes one of the great, affectionate, and impressive things you will ever do. Stay with them again and again, until they come to you on their own. Try to do your best by never taking things too personally and open yourself to that person who honestly needs you.
The most common and powerful way is to listen. Being a supporter of a person you love dearly may give them the courage to speak about their thoughts properly.